Friday, February 17, 2012

For Rondy

One thing that's always fun about Anchorage in February is Fur Rondy. I remember going downtown when I was younger and watching the start of the dog sled races. I remember how good the hot chocolate tasted on those chilly days. I remember the excitement in the air especially in the barks and yelps of the dogs. I hope to take my boys to that in the coming years so they too can experience the excitement of dog sled races & Fur Rondy. I remember as a teenager decorating my Fridge box with my teen group to make it qualify for the Outhouse Race. I think we competed in one of the first races. I don't remember how we fared, but I remember we had fun. Then I didn't pay much attention to Fur Rondy for years, but I remember it in 2010. I remember a day or so before Fur Rondy occurred, Nurse Shamise insisted that I switch ICU rooms, because she wanted me to have a view. I remember thinking at the time how crazy that was. I was sure I was dying and the thought of enjoying my view was downright stupid sounding to me. The excitement of Fur Rondy still made it up to my room. As I lay in my bed, unable to move much and struggling desperately to breath, my family was delivered the joy of having a great view of the sled dogs pulling their mushers out of town. I wanted to see it, to not be trapped in a hospital bed fighting for my life, I wanted to be normal. Thank you Shamise for this small gift to my family. Although I didn't realize it then, I do know, it allowed my family a bit of normalcy in such a scattered time. I remember where I was during Fur Rondy 2011 too. I was with Darren and my boys. One night we made it down by the small boat harbor to watch the fireworks. So much had changed and I had so much to be thankful for. It was exactly where I wanted to be, and I plan to do the same this year and many more to come. Thank you Lord!

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment